Sunday, June 1, 2014

Walking in the Foot Steps of the Apostles...A Story of a Man Made Humble

by Jason Guerrera

Visiting a country that’s on the fringe of the most hostile area of the world brings about excitement, mystery, and suspicion. I had no expectations before coming here because I didn’t know what to expect. Having no prior international traveling experience, my first instinct flying into a Muslim dominated country was to be on guard. And while having a sense of caution should always be observed when traveling abroad, my preconceived notions went a bit further than that. After arriving at our hotel in Istanbul and a group of us went for a walk through the city, my suspicions began to melt away. Before arriving in Istanbul we were required to read some literature that would help us gain an understanding of Turkish culture and customs. One novel that we read described Turkey as being “between two worlds.” Especially in the following week when we had our home stay, I realized that description was incredibly accurate.

Turkish flag with Ataturk statue below surveying the city of Kusadasi
While 98% of Turks are Muslims, a majority of them do not practice and are only Muslim in name. To align Turkey alongside other countries like Iran and Saudi Arabia would be inaccurate, because these countries do not have a constitution, and instead look to the Quran for its law, also known as Sharia law. Turkey has a constitution that was established in 1923, and since then the government and religion have been kept entirely separate. Because of this, the role of women has dramatically changed—in fact, Turkey has had a woman prime minister, arguably making it more progressive than any Westernized country, who continue to struggle with the “glass ceiling” effect. Many Turks yearn to become more like the West, but still have yet to join the European Union. As I spoke with my home stay family, they noted that they were content being “somewhat in the middle” between Europe and the Islamic countries, and while Turkey was made a candidate for joining the E.U., the fervor for becoming a member quickly faded after the recession and the severe economic troubles of Greece. Seeing this history in action once we arrived was fascinating. Turkish people have an immense amount of pride in their country, even those who disagree with how the government is being run. Turkish flags can be found in the back of buses, boats, cars, shops, buildings--you can hardly walk five hundred feet without running into one. This has had a profound impact on how I view American politics. Regardless of whether you agree with your government, you should still take pride in your country. And, unlike Turkey, we still get to elect our representatives; something that I, like many Americans, have taken for granted.

Flags on the streets of Izmir
The part of the trip that most concerned me was the home stay in Izmir. My family has hosted students before, and we actually stay in touch to this day, over ten years later. Thankfully, it was a challenging yet rewarding experience. Though the brother and sister spoke English, often my roommate and I would try and play charades to convey a word that they didn’t understand. If that didn’t work, Google translator was always there to save the day. When we weren’t at home interacting with our families we were out with our group seeing the city. Several friends back home mentioned that they had friends here in Izmir, and a quick tour of the city will tell you why. When students from the local university aren’t in class, they’re at the local bars, all a stone throw away from the ocean, intensely watching soccer or basketball. Expensive cars and shopping centers line the streets, which are kept incredibly clean by shopkeepers who continually wash and sweep the sidewalk in front of their store. Our family had an apartment in the upper part of the city, and from their balcony you can see the entire city. Though our stay in Izmir lasted only three days, it began such an incredible transformation that would’ve never happened in a classroom or a textbook.

The bustling city of Izmir below

What originally piqued my interest in coming to Turkey was its history, and from all the archaeological sites, in cities where the apostles visited and lived, has not disappointed. Reading the Bible is one thing, but reading the Bible that mentions the places you’re currently standing in brings about an entirely new perspective. Though I was raised Protestant, being exposed to the Orthodox tradition on the Greek islands was an incredible experience. Lighting the candles in the Orthodox churches and saying a prayer, sitting in the seats where monks have practiced for over a century, viewing ancient texts dating back hundreds of years, and even having the opportunity to stand in the very cave where Saint John and his assistant wrote the book of Revelation. I have never felt such a strong presence of the Holy Spirit during these experiences, and aside from the personal growth I've had with the home stays, I've had immense spiritual growth as well. Though the cliche phrase "God has a plan" has been said over and over, coming here made me realize the truth of that. Since freshman year I've planned to study abroad, and semester after semester it got pushed back from class and scheduling conflicts. Going into my senior year realizing I had to settle for a cross cultural, and having only a few to choose from, I trusted that God's hands were at work.

If there is one thing I had to take away from this trip, aside from the Turkish delight, I would mention how I originally imagined a culture that I thought viewed outsiders, especially Christians, with disdain and cynicism, are actually the most hospitable and humble people you will ever meet. I am blown away by the generosity by the Turkish people, and how even complete strangers will demonstrate acts of kindness. Reading though literature on the Crusades, one will find that my preconceived notions were a huge contributing factor to one of the bloodiest series of wars in human history. The “terrifying Turk” that many in Europe viewed as a threat to Christendom, were actually incredibly humble people who, unlike previous empires, allowed complete religious freedom, which is still observed in Turkey even today. No country is perfect, and I do not plan to change my citizenship once I get home. However, the experience of being immersed in Turkish culture has had an immeasurable impact on my personal and spiritual life, and I praise God for that. Aside from not being able to take home all of the stray dogs I see on the streets (who are all adorable by the way), I have come to completely fall in love with this country. Though our visit here in Turkey is brief, I hope to take this experience with me for the rest of my life.
Jason, Ali, and Michelle enjoying the hot springs at Pamukkale

No comments:

Post a Comment