Thursday, June 12, 2014

Universality of Human Traits



By Ali Williams
            Now that we are home from our three week trip to Turkey, I remember not only the clear differences between American and Turkish culture, but also the similarities. Whether a person is in their own neighborhood or halfway around the world, certain traits are shared by all human beings worldwide. In my social psychology class this spring, we discussed how certain human behaviors are determined or at least strongly influenced by culture while others seem to be universal. I saw examples of both of these in Turkey; behavior that is uniquely Turkish that has allowed me to experience a culture very different from my own, as well as behaviors that remind me that human beings are all more alike than we are different. Biologist Stephen Jay Gould has stated that based on genetic similarities there is really only one race, the human race.
Crowds of people in front of the Blue Mosque in Istanbul.
            The main cultural difference between Turkey and the United States is collectivism versus individualism. At a glance, it can appear that Americans do not care enough about the collective good, or that Turkish culture does not focus enough on the value of the individual. I have learned that both of these concepts are simply characterizations, and that individualism and collectivism are just two different ways of organizing cultural customs around universal human needs. For example, everyone wants to be respected as an individual and to have the ability to pursue their own goals to some extent, but at the same time needs to have fellowship with other people. Our tour guide Cenk mentioned that when purchasing an apartment in Turkey, it is essential to meet your potential neighbors before making a decision. This is because in Turkey, neighbors become like family, which tends not to be the case in the more individualistic United States. When having dinner at my host family’s home, neighbors stopped by to give some of their dinner to my host family. This prompted my host sister to say that in Turkey if someone makes a meal they believe is good, they will share it with as many people as possible. Though this is such a small detail, I thought to myself that it would be nice if people in America were equally others-focused. Sure enough, upon arriving home I heard that my father had made soft pretzels for the neighbors and they in return gave us strawberries from their garden. Even in individualistic America, the collective good still matters. Likewise, individual freedom still is important in areas of Turkey, especially in more progressive cities such as Izmir. My host sister strongly valued the personal freedom that living in a secular nation brings, and mentioned her thoughts about becoming independent from her parents as a single woman. So whether one lives in an individualist or collectivist culture, there is always a balance between taking care of others and the need for independence.
Our collective group learning about Islam at the mosque in Istanbul.
            On multiple occasions, I noticed Turkish people showing a considerable amount of appreciation for my attempts at using the Turkish language. Many people would say “Hi” to me and would look pleasantly surprised when I would respond with “Merhaba”. Some people tested my knowledge of the Turkish language by asking me “How are you?” in Turkish, to which I would usually respond “chok iyi”, or “very good”. It was impressive to see how happy many Turkish people were to hear an American attempting to speak their language. My analysis of this, is that people want to feel that their culture and customs are important, and are grateful when visitors respect that and attempt to join that country’s way of life. It takes a certain amount of humility to try to speak another language since we probably sound a bit silly sometimes and may not always make sense, but it also is a subtle way to show people of another country that we care enough to try. Just as many Americans appreciate when visitors give the English language a try, just a simple “Merhaba” in a region full of tourists can mean a lot to a native of Turkey.
Our group was always smiling with new friends and having fun.
            Finally, people in Turkey want the government to promote a system that respects their religious beliefs or lack thereof, just like people from any nation in the world. The United States had freedom of religion written into its Constitution, but how this is actualized has been debated since the documents publication. Turkey faces similar questions of how to run a secular nation which has a predominantly Muslim population. To what extent should Islamic values affect law-making? Do people not ask similar questions in the United States, except with Christian values? The desire to have freedom to worship in whatever way a person believes is right is a trait that most human beings share. However, so is the tendency to mistrust people who see the world differently than we do. As I walked through a museum in Konya without a headscarf, I wondered if anyone thought negatively of my character…but as I saw two women walk past my home in Pennsylvania wearing headscarves yesterday, I could not help but wonder what challenges they have faced in this country while striving to remain devoted to their faith. Ultimately, people everywhere just want others to have respect for their culture, values, and beliefs and be a part of a community which welcomes them.
Ali in Cappadocia at the fairy chimney houses.

No comments:

Post a Comment