Sunday, June 8, 2014

My Inner Struggle


                  As our trip through Turkey comes to a close, I have had some time to reflect on the multitude of things I have learned while living here and being immersed in this society.  Undoubtedly, I had numerous preconceived ideas about the Turkish culture, religions, and people in general.  Although some of my views have shifted throughout the duration of this trip, I have certainly been challenged in ways I did not anticipate.  So ... Here are some of the thoughts that have been crossing my mind the past three weeks, as well as some rambling about such thoughts. Bear with me as I try my hardest to convey my challenges, convictions, and most importantly my learning experiences.
Inside the Suleman the Magnificent Mosque
                  Prior to arriving in Istanbul, I learned briefly about the Turkish culture and history from our trip meetings.  However, I think I was ignorant to the idea that I would be learning and experiencing far more than I ever dreamed of simply by being here.  As a graduate of the Biblical Religious Studies department of Messiah, I knew coming into this trip I would be challenged spiritually as I entered into a country that is almost 100% Muslim. Yet, I do not think it fully sunk in until we were walking through ancient Pergamum learning about the biblical context when all of a sudden I heard the call to prayer from a nearby Mosque.  As we all sat and listened to Dr. Yeatts read the letter to Pergamum from the book of Revelation, Muslims were taking time to pray. Five times during the day we can hear a call to prayer as we navigate sites that have such rich Christian history.  It is a fascinating reality that biblical history is so prevalent in Turkey, yet there is such a small population of Christians living here today.
Center of the Mosque where men are allowed to pray
                  On the other hand, I cannot point fingers at modern Turkish people because the reality is that the nation was not founded on a particular religion.  Much like America, Turkey, from what I have observed, is more secular than I had originally anticipated.  Before this trip my ignorant view of Turkey was that it was an Islamic nation when in fact it truly is not.  Although the majority of its populace identifies as Muslim, it does not necessarily mean they are practicing this religion. In fact, after speaking with my host mother about this topic, she informed me that many people are afraid of the country becoming truly Islamic.  Although Christianity is not popular and there are very few churches in Turkey, Christians are still free to practice their faith despite the societal norm.   In the same way, America was not genuinely founded as a “Christian” nation, rather a place by which religious views of morality were instilled and religious freedom was made a priority.  Most Americans would identify themselves as Christians, and yet how many of us can without a doubt say that we are genuinely Christians?  For many Americans, Christianity is more like a nationality rather than a faithful relationship with Christ.  Many people globally, in my opinion, see America as a Christian nation, and yet I hardly think Americans understand what that actually means… just some food for thought.
Outside of the Mosque
                  Another thing that has shaken my view of this country and its religious content was visiting the Suleyman the Magnificent Mosque in Istanbul today. To be honest, I had my hesitations of entering the mosque, yet I was truly blown away after going inside. The entire place was decorated in chandeliers, marble pillars, stained glass windows, and beautiful Arabic characters. I have visited some incredible churches before, but honestly it felt as though I was standing in a church in many ways. There was a sense of peace in the place that I was at first unnerved by. Yet, as I continued to observe those around me, I began to respect what was taking place. Although these people were not worshipping in the same way I do as a Christian, I could not help but have an appreciation for their religious dedication. I may not have the same beliefs as those who surrounded me today, yet I was able to finally recognize they too belong to a faith family who were there to outwardly express their faith.  As our time came to an end, we met outside in the courtyard that was once clouded and rainy prior to our entrance. Now, the sun was shining and warming the ground where we avoided puddles, and I could not help but smile. This small weather change had shifted in the same way my attitude and heart changed toward the Muslim religion. I may not agree, but I certainly have a better respect for those I have been surrounded by here in Turkey.
Chrissy in the epigraphy museum in Ephesus

-Chrissy Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment